THOR Solutions, LLC, (THOR) is a Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business (SDVOSB) providing mission critical support to the U.S. Navy, U.S. Coast Guard, and commercial maritime domains.
THOR provides innovative and tailored expertise in project/program management, engineering, technical, consulting, and administrative services in support of U.S. warfighters and mariners.
THOR is honored to support solution development, implementation, and execution for our nation's most complex maritime challenges.
THOR Solutions, LLC is seeking candidates to fill Entry Level positions providing U. S. Navy Surface Ship In-Service Engineering Agent (ISEA) support to Naval Surface Warfare Center, Philadelphia Division (NSWCPLD), Propulsion and Power Systems Division, Steam and Diesel Electric Power
Automation, Generation & Distribution Branch (Code 427) and operational surface ships for the ships electrical power generation and distribution and control systems.
Perform duties in support of the ISEA providing full spectrum support, which includes Operations & Maintenance, System Engineering, Integrated Logistics Support and On-Site Fleet support. Will interface with the NAVSEA 05 Technical Warrant Holder on Life Cycle Management (LCM) issues.
Approximately 20% travel
Education Requirement (minimum):
- BS Degree, Electrical Engineering, accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum.
Security Clearance Requirement: Must be eligible and able to obtain a Secret clearance.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Experience:
Electrical Power System Engineering positions at the Naval Surface Warfare Center, Philadelphia Division involving all aspects of Life Cycle Management, and the execution overhauls and modernization of U.S. Navy ships.
Incumbent performs professional electrical power system engineering duties related to the work of the division. Duties include but are not limited to providing engineering/technical support, planning support, operations (project) support, methods and standards support, equipment and facilities support, quality assurance support, safety/environmental support, and administrative support as assigned.
Essential Functions and Job Responsibilities:
- Required knowledge of Ships Service Diesel Generators (SSDGs), Ships Service Turbine/Turbo Generators (SSTGs-Steam driven), Ship Service Gas Turbine Generators (SSGTGs), Switchboards (SWBDs), subassemblies (fuel control, excitation control, circuit breakers, and protection monitoring) and support equipment (power supplies, controllers, and dampers).
- Perform Medium Voltage and Low Voltage electrical power distribution system analysis for equipment sizing, load flow, short circuit, arc flash energy.
- Work with a diverse range of equipment including DC/DC and DC/AC solid state converters, solid-state relays, motor drives, transfer switches, overcurrent protection coordination, and ground grid calculations.
- Create test and engineering analysis reports and technical manuals.
- Complete design studies for new naval ship power electronics initiatives
- Prepare for and participate in design reviews
- Interface with other engineering groups to coordinate technical requirements and product integrity
- Incumbent will be required to travel for durations between 1 day and 1 month with minimal advance notice. Travel may be international, incumbent must have or be able to obtain a passport.
- Onsite work will consist of new installation hardware testing of SSDGs/SSTGs/SSGTGs/SWBDs, subassemblies and support equipment. Incumbent will be expected to help ships force completely resolve various issues from troubleshooting, help with logistics and possibly help with the installation/set up of replacement hardware or software.
- Incumbent will be required to proficiently interact with members of ships force from all ranks for both scheduling and also for any possible troubleshooting efforts.
Required Education, Skills, and Experience:
- BS in Electrical Engineering (from an ABET-accredited institution) required
- 3+ years of demonstrated experience in Power Electronics and working with motor drives.
- Experience should include medium voltage switchgear, protective relaying, cabling and solid state power conversion
- Ability to learn quickly and work on several projects concurrently
- Experience with working effectively in dynamic environments requiring the ability to assess and prioritize tasks, managing time and resources to meet assigned deadlines
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
Physical Demands & Expectations:
- Regular physical activity to include walking, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, reaching, standing and prolonged sitting
- Ability to carry up to 50lbs and traverse a shipboard environment
- Ability to speak, read, hear and write, with or without assistance
- Ability to use phone and computer systems, copier, fax and other office equipment
- Ability to travel up to 20%
- Incumbent will be required to support underway periods from between 1 day and 18 days. Underway will account for ~5% of total work, but will be required.
Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.